Thursday 18 June 2009

A Beautiful Poem by Wendy Cope



Tich Miller


Tich Miller wore glasses
with elasto-plast pink frames
and had one foot three sizes larger than the other

When they picked teams for outdoor games
she and I were always the last two
left standing by the wire mesh fence

We avoided one anothers eyes
stooping, perhaps, to re-tie a shoelace
or affecting interest in a flight

of some fortunate bird, and pretended
not to hear the urgent conference:
"Have Tubby!" "No have Titch"

usually they chose me, the lesser dud,
and she lolloped back, unselected
to the back of the other team

At eleven we went to different schools.
In time I learnt how to get my own back,
sneering at hockey players who couldn't spell.

Tich died when she was twelve.


( I was a Tich Miller. Maybe some of those hockey player's children will become a Titch too. Things have a way of coming back on us, sometimes in a roundabout way.)




This reminds me of the coldplay lyrics " Just because I'm losing, doesn't mean I'm lost. Doesn't mean I'll stop. You might be a big fish in a little pond, doesn't mean you've won, because along will come a bigger one." How very true. ;D

3 comments:

  1. OMG I studied that in first year. Back in the days when I lived down south. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the best poem out. Pure excellence baby. I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad really when you think about it

    ReplyDelete

Conceal me in your draw-string bag,

all lily skin, iced heart and plaid.



Followers